There’s a room, n.50 within the Victoria & Albert museum, devoted to a spectacular assortment of Italian Renaissance sculpture. It’s named The Paul and Jill Ruddock Gallery. Sir Paul Ruddock, member of the V&A trustees, is certainly the lead donor for the renovation of the Medieval & Renaissance Galleries within the museum. On show, you may see not solely very well-known masters, corresponding to Perugino and Giambologna, but additionally items by artists whose names are acquainted to most of the people, but whose works are usually not actually well-known.
Among the many best works within the corridor, there’s a masterpiece by Andrea della Robbia. Quoting the outline of the V&A, it’s an altarpiece made in Florence within the early sixteenth century. The composition is expounded to that of numerous Umbrian work of the Adoration of the Magi, crucial being an altarpiece by Perugino on the Pinacoteca Nazionale in Perugia (about 1475). The arms are these of Albizzi, and the altarpiece could have been commissioned for the church of Saint Michele or the one in all Saint Andrea in Rovezzano, each of which have been below Albizzi patronage on the finish of the fifteenth century. The Della Robbia’s was an Italian household of sculptors and potters. They had been lively in Florence from the early fifteenth century and elsewhere in Italy and France effectively into the sixteenth. Relations have been historically employed within the textile trade, and their identify certainly derived from rubia tinctorum, a crimson dye.